Monday, January 23, 2012

Michael Champion

I loathe self-portraits. Specifically, of me. I'd much rather be behind the camera rather than in front of it. So much so, that over the course of several days trying to draft an idea for this - I stared at a wall, then a ceiling, then just tuned out. In the end, I conclusively decided that I cannot, nor particularly care to, create a self-portrait of my own device. Instead, I collected images of me taken by others...often against my wishes. However, in reflecting on this, I feel that this is a better representation of myself through others than what I could hope to accomplish with photographic self-reflection.
Technically, there is not much to this image. It's a collection of shots over the course of six years showing a variety of ways other's have seen me. I simply compiled them in a somewhat representative way. The specifics of the images are that I cleaned out noise, various aberrations, and tried (my best at least) to enhance the image containing fire - taken on film, and then scanned...by a gerbil. In the end, I added borders for some compartmentalization. Oh, and made it black and white and simulated ~1600ISO film. I do miss film...
Lastly, I -loathe- self-portraits of myself.  

No comments:

Post a Comment