Monday, October 4, 2010

Courtney Tovar - Vector Project

So, I don't read books at all. I had to call the experts and ask for book suggestions. This is a book called Graceling, by Kristy Cashore. I googled the synopsis of the book, and it seemed pretty interesting to me. It is about a girl with incredible powers (the powers are called Grace) that give her monster-like strength. Beings with these powers are called 'Gracelings', and are able to stand out from the rest of society because of their signature different colored eyes. From a young age, she is used as a weapon by her uncle. In the book, she is able to kill men with her bare hands. Nobody is able to defeat her.
I figured that a girl like that would look wild in a fight, so I drew her looking very intense. I wanted to make the cover look like a comic book, or graphic novel cover. I drew most of the image, but I used an actual image of flames to help with the font design. I applied the 'comic book' effect to it when I converted it from a raster image into a vector image. It turned the flames into white splatters that blended well with the title.

No comments:

Post a Comment